I’ve been writing about the TIDES Foundation for a few weeks now. It has been a hard subject to approach because I support a lot of the causes that they do. That said, I’ve felt equally uncomfortable with the lack of honesty & transparency in their activities. Quite the dilemma…
Today’s Canadian budget includes a section titled “Enhancing Transparency & Accountability for Charities.” This provides $8 million earmarked for the CSA to better audit the political activities of charities and improve the transparency of their foreign sources. It appears that the TIDES are turning for our friend George Soros… (sorry for the bad pun)
So, on the one hand, it makes me feel better to see this issue is being attended to. That said, this also means we may have to re-evaluate how to fund the battle against important projects like the battles against pipelines and Tar Sands projects. So, the victory is bitter sweet.
I see an opportunity for the Occupy movement here. We need to look into ways how we can take more grassroots actions, and help the organizations that are at risk of losing foreign contributions. Something to talk more about this spring & summer.
Perhaps, if the movement has to forsake money from American billionaires, we also have the opportunity to rebuild trust of Canadians who were uncomfortable with this. I’d guess this is at least 10% of the population- what if we could now convince them to each give $10-$20 to the cause? Bet we’d be rich!
I’ve attached a copy of the information from today’s budget below- ripped off from Vivian Krause’s website FairQuestions. She’s worked hard to bring out the truth on this issue- today’s budget appears to be the result. Thanks for the hard work helping keep us honest! It may be painful for us today- that said, her work may help make Canada less of a pawn to the needs of the financial elite…
- SOROS: OCCUPY TO TURN VIOLENT Billionaire warns U.S. financial system faces collapse (jansurvivalgear.wordpress.com)
- A Discussion on the Influence of George Soros & The TIDES Foundation (genuinewitty.wordpress.com)
- A Warning for Canadians- George Soros’ TIDES Foundation is Invading! (genuinewitty.wordpress.com)
- BullyWatch: Dave Vasey Is a Coward who Uses Women as Human Shields! (genuinewitty.wordpress.com)
- The Coc’s Cop-Out (Once Again…) (genuinewitty.wordpress.com)
- Why The Occupy Movement Should Be Concerned About George Soros… (genuinewitty.wordpress.com)